Sunday, April 01, 2007

A starter home ain't what it used to be...

We have certainly been aware of how house prices have been rising lately, mainly through friends who have been either buying or selling in our area. We are so thankful for our house - we got into the market just before things started really rising around here, in addition to getting a good deal due to the fact that our house had been rented out for a few years and not maintained very well.

Just for fun I was looking around on MLS (the real estate listing website) to see what kind of houses were available in the area right now...I couldn't believe how high prices are! Based on my (admittedly amateur) assessment of other houses listed there, we would probably get well over twice what we paid for our house just under five years ago. That blows my mind - just seems like WAY too much money for a house! Oh, and down in Edmonton there's a lovely 'starter home' for $325,000, as well as a 'fixer upper' for $329,000. I just can't imagine. I feel like our mortgage payment takes up just enough of our budget as it is, and these days it doesn't look like you can buy even a mobile home for what our house cost. The market has to go down some time, doesn't it?

2 Comments:

Blogger krimels said...

House prices are crazy! I wish we would have bought when you guys did! (Danny is starting to take courses to be licenced as a real estate agent. He is going to work with Larry - do you know Larry? Pretty cool, hey?)

9:00 AM  
Blogger debrowns said...

Our house has gained over $100,000 in just 2 years. We thank God for our blessings every day!

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home